Monday, February 6, 2017

This Week in Tattooing




I still find it kind of hard to believe, but the New York Historical Society, that venerable institution of our fine City has actually mounted an exhibition documenting the history of tattooing in New York City. OK, we all know getting inked has become pretty much mainstream.  Much as some of us may regret it, it is no longer the province of sailors, hookers and gangbangers, but to 'come out' in show like this, here?  Hoo-Boy!

Also figure that up until 1997, tattooing was illegal in New York City.  So here is this staid, conservative bunch suddenly recognizing tattooing.  As art.  The mind boggles.  Mine, anyway.  Not only that, but I am actually a part of it,  Me. Two of my photographs are there, included in the show. OK, my prints are not all that big and you have to look around the show to find them, but they did have the discernment pick one to use in the press release, so I guess that kind of makes up for it.
As followers of this blog might have picked up, I have been photographing the 'tattoo scene' for the better part of 2 decades. Much of it was for the pure enjoyment of producing images of beautiful body art and meeting an endless array of collectors and artists from around the world. OK, a bunch of beautiful babes too.  Along the way, I became a regular contributor to one of the top tattoo magazines and actually realized a bit of return and recognition, but would I never have imagined seeing any my work here.  Not only that, but displayed along with historical art and artifacts and the work of some of the most talented artists in the tattoo world.  Kind of humbling.  And I don't do humble well, but in this case........

And yes, the opening reception was everything you might think it was.

Someone suggested that I add this to my curriculum vitae
Problem is I don't have a curriculum vitae. 
 It sounded like a vitamin supplement.
That name also reminded me of someone I dated a long time.  
 But I think her name was Clytemnestra or something like that. 
 It was a long time ago.
But I did look up curriculum vitae and now I do know what it is. 
And I am sure this will look great the next time some one asks for mine.
Actually, I have never been asked for my curriculum vitae.
But if someone ever wants to see mine, I now do got this! 
 Impressive, huh?




(artist maury englander doing field research for this project)


2 comments:

Jane Alpert said...

Great news! Mazel tov!

Carol Rainey said...

Ah, c'mon, Maury. You wanted to be 'special' with your many lovely tattoos.
But tats have been so discovered!! So it might be a good idea to seek out some new source of stickin'it to mainstream America. Dare you.