Wednesday, November 1, 2017

It Ain't Like It Used To Be!

There was a time when I used to look forward to Halloween for a chance to wander around my neighborhood, shooting the 'street scene' that partied on well into the wee hours of the next morning. Invariably, I ended up on Christopher Street. It was always a zany, explosive celebration of some of the most spectacular costumes ever. One evening I took Janis with me. I remember her staring at the passing revelers and remarking that she would probably never own a gown as elaborate or have her hair done as elaborately as what some of these guys were were turned out in. It was that kind of an evening.

Unfortunately, the scene turned in later years. Lots more teen bangers showing up, more 'scuffles' and assorted unpleasantness and a totally less appealing evening.  Anyway, this Halloween, a dozen or so years later, I decided to see what things looked like.


First disappointment: Christopher Street was not closed off to traffic! That used to be party central for the evening; apparently, not any more. Actually, by 11:00 or so, there wasn't all that much of a party anywhere in the neighborhood. A definate absence of serious zany. In fact, hardly any really creative outfits. Mostly lots millennial types, mostly drunk, loud and trying to find the subway.

 I was heading home before midnight. My corner, which back in the day and at that hour would have sported the really weirdly costumed was empty except for a lady, around my age, walking her dog. As we passed, she remarked on how our local celebration had changed: “Kids these days have no stamina!” Right on, Babe!











No comments: