Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Silk

Hue, Vietnam. Through the doorway of a lovely wooden building in a park along the Perfumed River, I saw these women working at a long table. They were embroidering these very finely detailed images on to very sheer silk. They didn't seem to mind me coming in and wandering around. As it turned out, it was a sort of museum. There were many pieces on display in several rooms. A lady who spoke a bit of English showed some to me. One striking piece covered most of a wall; it took ten women two years to complete.  A truly amazing experience. Sadly, my snapshots only show a fraction of the beauty of it all. 















6 comments:

Chanterelle said...

Maury, these are breathtaking!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Love the low saturation and subtle colors of the silk it self, what Whistler and French Symbolist painters were after!

Anonymous said...

when pursuing Oriental art

Carol Rainey said...

I'd be blissful with these hanging in my house. Thanks for letting the rest of us non-travelers see the world the way you do, Maury!

Ms. B said...

Exquisite silk and photos

Unknown said...

y. laufer
fine photos
...and nice people

regards from Israel