Sunday, December 31, 2017

Times Square New Year's Eve 9:15 AM



According to the last report, it was 14 degrees in Times Square this morning when I got out of the subway. I am not really sure of the temperature, but within 10 minutes any exposed skin was numb, my camera was starting to freeze up and my eyes hurt. And I made these snapshots of some really hard working folks.  I would have shot more, but it really was too painful. Meantime, on the other side of the Square, lines were just starting to form. These were not working people; they were the unfortunates who intended to stand at the barricades for the next 15 hours. I believe most are Trump supporters. There are no restrooms for them to use.  If they leave, they will not be permitted to return. They are demented and therefore should not be mocked. With luck, they will not be contributing to the gene pool. It was too cold to hang around shooting any more. If you are interested, they can seen between commercials on tonight's TV coverage.











Special directive by the New York City Police Department to cops assigned to New Year's Eve in Times Square: “A winter knit hat is now authorized as an optional uniform item for all uniformed members of the service.. The approved optional winter knit hat must be navy blue in color with ‘NYPD’ embroidered on the front in white one inch block lettering,”
(Presumably knit caps adorned with pom-poms, team logos or furry animal parts will once again not be allowed)



1 comment:

Carol Rainey said...

Terrific photos (and text), Maury. I can't believe people stood out there for 15 hours.

I'm living in a little coastal town in RI now and we're in whiteout conditions. I took my Papillon, Figaro, out to pee this morning, dropped him gently to ground, as always. Only this time, he disappeared!